Wednesday, April 23, 2014

An Apple A Day

Last week I went to see my OB/GYN for my lovely annual checkup. He told me that I needed to have blood work done to check:

- Vitamin D levels
- thyroid
- cholesterol
- for anemia 

I missed the call last week because we were at the Asheboro Zoo. So, I finally had a chance to call them back yesterday and the nurse said she would give a message to my doctor. I got a call back this morning and it looks like my Vitamin D levels are below normal so I have to start taking a 2000mg supplement for that and my "bad" cholesterol is high so I need to watch my diet more, exercise more and my husband recommended that I take niacin as well. 

Now, my cholesterol levels aren't terribly high, but it was 130 and normal is 100. So, 30 points to me is a lot. This is the first time in my life I have ever dealt with high cholesterol and I know it runs in my family. I'm coming to grips with the fact that I have to lose the rest of this baby weight now not JUST because I want to fit in to my smaller clothes again, but for MY health. I don't want to get to the point where I have to take cholesterol medications because it's so out of control. However, I'm not sure what to do diet-wise other than watch the amount of fat I am taking in. 

This is where YOU come in! I would greatly appreciate it if y'all could give me some suggestions or tips on ways to lower my cholesterol. I know it's not going to happen overnight but I am starting right now, right this minute, today. Please comment below or send me an email to: thismommyofthree@yahoo.com if you don't feel like commenting below. I'm only 33, and I consider myself still relatively young and I don't want this to become a bigger issue for me as I get older. I have 3 kids and a husband to live for and I have no plans on going anywhere anytime soon. 



P.S. I know today's post was supposed to be an update on my friend Caity, but I am waiting on an update from her so that I can post it. Hopefully tomorrow or Friday! Also, for those of you reading for the couponing series, I haven't forgotten! I am working on my next post and hope to have that up for y'all on Monday. 

xoxo



1 comment:

  1. My husband has high cholesterol also, and we don't eat much red meat anymore. We mostly have ground turkey instead of ground beef, and we just try to watch other things we eat also to try to restrict the amount of high cholesterol foods that he eats. I've heard red yeast rice (a supplement) helps, but I'm not positive about that, so you might check into it. Good luck girl, you'll get it!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts! Please keep them positive!